Monday, January 12, 2009

No Gimmicks; Divine Purpose


My buddy Matt Ray sent me this video (not from his church) and it got me thinking about how easy it is in church ministry to lose focus on what we were called to do. Now I am by no means saying that this church was wrong or something for having a dirtbike in the church or that what they were doing that night was totally unspiritual or something because they were having fun I am just saying that it got me thinking. (It mostly got me thinking how happy I wasn't the one who had to answer to the senior pastor about what happened during youth group) I want to see peoples lives changed this year by the renewing power of Jesus Christ. I don't want to pawn Him off as cheap entertainment on a Wednesday night for the youth of my church, or a rockin praise and worship service on a Sunday morning, but to raise Him up as the Savior that He is. John 14:6 "I am the way, the truth and the LIFE, no one comes to the Father except through me." I want my youth group, my family, my friends, saved and unsaved to experience new life in Jesus. Even if we have accepted Jesus as our savior there is still MORE LIFE to be found in Him, new experiences and a deeper relationship. It's an exciting time to be involved in God's divine purpose. "For the Son of man came to seek and save what was lost" Luke 19:10. Let's not invent new gimmicks that reflect some image of "life" in the way that the world sees life but let us be reflections of Him in everything that we do!

6 comments:

Ashleigh said...

i really liked that post p.fred, thanks for writing it. Sometimes it can be easy to decide to just try and entertain students/ adults instead of realizing that we have a "divine purpose", and that it is always a better message than any gimmick/ trend.

Anonymous said...

First of all, we do need to watch that we don't become entertainment and forget that others need to experience the life saving power of Jesus...
the other thing is I bet this was showed as P. Matt's clip of the week.

Anonymous said...

GOOOD!

Anonymous said...

that's one of the perks of being from a small church: you can't AFFORD any gimmicks! ha ha! just kidding... good post pastor fred!

P Fred said...

Well said Amy, well said. :)

Dustin Reed said...

That's not a good gimmick. I would of got a bulldozer!